Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Bookstore Parasites

I like to read. I read alot and have a rather large collection of books. Naturally I've been to the various shops selling books and have noticed one common trait with all the big box bookstores- there's alot of cheap mother fuckers in there.

The benefit of owning a book is that you can go back and read it many times, and consult it on a regular basis for research etc. Quality books are an investment that pays dividends from day one. However the parasites that you see in Books a Million or Borders(we'll get to that in a minute), make a god damn daytrip out of going to the bookstore. Why is that? Maybe they need a place to hide out away from the tax man or just have no life what so ever. Of course they could be broke and can only window shop. If the latter is the case, then why did you waste gas money to get there?

The last time I was in Barnes & Nobles I saw this rather shapely dame sitting on one of those leather couches with a huge stack of books on the other half of the couch. Being that she had dark hair and a large rack I decided to make some small talk with her in hopes of being able to sit between her & the stack of books. I inquired why she didn't just buy a few books, if she did I'd be more than happy to carry them out to her car and would even help her put them on her bookshelf at home if she so desired. She replied "I just come down here to read the books I want and then go home. Why buy something when you can use it for free in the store? She makes a good point and this led to her & I talking about Borders, as I suspect this is the very reason Borders is in financial dire straits.

I'm willing to bet if they took out all the couches and the yuppie coffee shop in all the bookstores, they'd sell a hell of a lot more merchandise and possibly could have avoided the money troubles.

So what happened to the dark haired minx? Turns out she's Jewish ad she didn't like the fact I'm Atheist.

No comments:

Post a Comment